Thursday, February 16, 2012

New Adventures for Sparky

I have been retired now for a month and a half and life is good. My retirement party was great and very relaxed. Amazing how relaxed people are when there is no brass around to have to worry about. No ass kissing and no politics. Thank you.... to everyone who attended. You made my day.

I have been enjoying myself and preparing for my next big adventure. I have been buying the equipment I will need for my hike and dehydrating food. My dehydrator is being worked around the clock. I have almost 25 pounds of jerky, pounds of apples, bananas, strawberries, pineapple, bell peppers, carrots, and corn. I have been packaging breakfasts and other meals and packing my re-supply boxes for later mailing. I have been attending the Sierra Clubs, Wilderness Basics Course (WBC), gaining skills that will hopefully keep me out of trouble on the trail. I had my first camping trip (WBC Car Camp) last weekend, testing my equipment. Next weekend we have our first backpacking trip. I'm learning to use a compass and read a topo map. Hopefully I can stay found. Funny how they use "stay found" as opposed to "getting lost."

I will be setting off on my hike Saturday, April 14, 2012. That is less than 60 days from now. Yikes. Lots left to do.

I have set up a BLOG to journal my hike. If you want to follow along you may want to check out: "Sparky's 2012 Pacific Crest Trail Adventure" 

No comments: